Monday, December 15, 2008

Amazon.fr

So I've been listening to French radio a lot and there are a couple artists I really like, so I wanted to buy their CDs. I went to the Virgin MegaStore, but they didn't have exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to do what I would do if I were in Florida - buy the CDs online on Amazon.

While Amazon.com did have the CDs I was looking for - since they would be imports, the cost was high and the delivery time (on at least one) was several weeks. So I decided to be brave and go on Amazon.fr like a real Parisian would :-)

Even though Amazon.fr is completely in French, the site is set up exactly like our English version. So between that and my newly found quasi-ability to discern some words in the French language, I found what I was looking for, put the items in my basket (or "panier" as it is called here), and placed my order - to be delivered to my address here in Paris.

Success! Just 3 days later I checked my mailbox and voila - there were my CDs! I was very proud of myself :-)

The one CD I bought is by Stanislas. Just Stanislas - like, just Madonna! The song of his that is on the radio all the time is called La Belle De Mai - if you have RealPlayer installed on your computer, you can click here to listen to a clip of the song.

The other CD I bought is by Marc Antoine. There are a couple of songs on his CD that are on the radio a lot, but the most popular one is called Triste Novembre. Again, if you have RealPlayer, you can click here to listen to a clip.

I also ordered a copy of Ernest Hemingway's book A Moveable Feast - in English of course! I decided since I kept running across that quote of his, that I should check out the book. Pretty interesting so far - it's a memoir of the time he spent living here in Paris in the 1920s. What's cool is that I've walked down all the streets he mentions and some of the cafes, restaurants, etc., he talks about are still around - so amazing. You know, I don't think I've ever read a book by Hemingway before. I wonder why I didn't have to in high school or college? Odd...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

diggin the Marc Antoine!