Sunday, November 9, 2008

So About My Classes at the Alliance Française...

Many of you have been asking about my French classes, so here's the scoop...

When I went to get my student ID and finalize my registration last week, I had to take a placement test. I thought, "No problem" - I can't speak French, but I know a lot of bits and pieces - numbers, phrases, directions, introductions, etc. And I can understand a lot. Heck, I get by just fine in Paris. So I thought...

Let's just say that the intake lady at the Alliance Française had a different opinion of my self-assessment :-( In fact, after briefly 'talking with me' in French, she said I didn't have to take the placement exam (which by the way I looked at and it had nothing basic on it - it was all essay questions and reading comprehension!) and that I should start in the "absolute beginners" class. Grrrr.......

This was annoying for three reasons: 1) "absolute beginner" classes only start on certain Mondays, and of course last Monday was not one of them; 2) the actual fact that I'm NOT an absolute beginner! I bought my books and I know most of what will be covered the first week; 3) I now will only be able to take classes for 2 weeks instead of 3.

{sigh}

But since I didn't know the words to argue with the lady in French...

Things happen for a reason though and it will all work out for the best. I've put this last week to good use, got totally settled into the apartment and into a routine and have seen and done quite a lot. And in the end, I will end up with more instruction anyhow - here's how:

The original plan was to take the 'light' course which was 9-12, Mon/Tues/Thurs (so 9 hours a week) - for 3 weeks - for a total of 27 hours of instruction while I was here.

But with the plan 'nouveau' I am going to take the 'intensive' course which is 9-1, Mon-Fri (so 20 hours a week - more than dbl the other one) - for a total of 40 hours of instruction while I am here.

My brain may explode, but I just felt like I needed to get as much out of the school as I could while I have the benefit of being here to practice. Time will tell whether or not this was a good decision...

So that's the scoop on school. My intensive classes start on Monday. I have my books. I have my student ID. I know where my classroom is and how to get to the school on the metro.

Since I am going to be in the 'absolute beginners' class, I'm really not that worried. The first few days at least should be review and mostly me working on pronunciation. The hardest thing for me likely isn't going to be the French - it will be having to getting up at 7am everyday Mon-Fri for the next two weeks. Très horrible!

And they say I don't know French ;-)

Click here to view all of today's photos (11/09/08)

No comments: