Saturday, November 1, 2008

L'accident

So I had a slight accident last night...

I slipped in the shower and twisted my ankle. At first I thought it was no big deal - just bruised. But by the end of the night I couldn't put any weight on it without a lot of pain.

I looked it up online and it said ice, compression, elevation, rest. And some sites said to alternate ice with heat.

Well, I have no ice (or ice trays - must add them to the shopping list, along with a non-slip showermat!). But there was a lot of frost build up in the freezer so I scraped off as much as I could, put it in a ziplock bag and voila. I also brought these little air activated heat packs with me - just in case - and put one of them on the injury in my sock overnight.

Sadly, the ankle is really no better today. I didn't bring bandages, but I did some makeshift compression by wrapping a stocking tightly around my foot this morning - that seemed to help a little. And I filled a ziplock with water last night and put it in the freezer compartment so this morning I have a proper ice pack which is on my foot now.

Luckily the studio is as small as it is. I can almost reach everything from my bed - ha! My biggest concern is that I only have a little diet coke left and as for food, a half a baguette, some microwave popcorn and some cookies (which I thankfully brought with me). I may have to hobble across the street to the market tonight to get some supplies.

I've never twisted my ankle before, so of course it would happen in a foreign country, right? It's really just more an inconvenience than anything (I hope anyhow). I'd rather be out and about today instead of watching tv in bed - afterall, I am in Paris! But then again, this trip is about experiencing "living" here not being a tourist per se, and I guess if I lived here, there would be days when I stayed home and chilled. So I figure it's all part of the experience.

I think it will be fine if I just stay off of it for a couple of days. Of course I don't have much of a choice as it hurts too much to walk on right now! So send good thoughts my way as I'd rather not report on this blog about the experience of going to un docteur à Paris. L'expérience française...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That does not sound good!
Yeah, you need to keep it elevated so it does not swell up too much.

Just a minor set back. It is a pain in the arse though. Sure does make us appreciate walking right? :)

I had a few toe jams while I worked at that Post and yeeeesh! It was such a pain to walk!

Hope rest lets it heal up soon!

Unknown said...

It's officially time to start your own Gina in Paris reality series!

Poor thing! Be careful in that shower!